You understand the dangers of smoking, texting as you drive and walking down dark allies on your own at night. You know it’s foolish and potentially dangerous to engage in these behaviours. But perhaps you’re less aware of the dangers of highlighting (and underlining). For most students, highlighting and underlining information feels so natural and […]
The life-changing magic of realising you have a problem: How the KonMari decluttering method helped me break my stationery addiction
Marie Kondo took the world by storm with her bestselling book “The life-changing magic of tidying up”. Her decluttering strategy (known as the KonMari method) is simple: Gather all the items in the same category (e.g. clothes, books or sentimentals), create a pile and then one by one, hold each item in your hands to […]
I used to agonize over writing essays. Writing every sentence was like sticking a pencil in my eyeball. It was a painful process. But over time something has shifted. I now really enjoy writing. How could this be? From pencil in the eye pain to enjoyment? Well, I gave myself permission to write rubbish. I […]
They say the way you start the morning often sets the stage for the rest of the day. Here’s how I used to start my day: with a bowl of nutri-grain cereal. In my naivety, I believed the marketing messages that this was the food of iron men and women. I believed it would help […]
Avoiding the Stationery Trap: Insights from a Recovering Stationery Addict and an 18th Century Philosopher
In recent years, the humble notepad, pencil case and pen have transformed. Stationery has experienced an extreme makeover. I recently worked with a teenager girl who used a bright pink pen with a big diamond on top to take notes. This pen even had its very own feather bower. Another student had a pencil case […]
Sign up for our Smart Study e-newsletter
- Exploring Learning Styles: Fact or Fiction? January 18, 2017
- How to study effectively over the holidays without burning out January 10, 2017
- 7 things I wish I had known when I was in high school January 3, 2017
- 10 Organisation Strategies for Disorganised Students: Keeping Chaos at Bay November 3, 2016
- Exam Revision: To Cram or Not to Cram? October 13, 2016
- 5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project August 6, 2009
- How to Mind Map for Study Success November 5, 2007
- Developing Razor Sharp Focus with Zen Habits Blogger, Leo Babauta July 22, 2011
- Top 10 tips for taking exams October 22, 2008
- How to motivate yourself at anytime December 21, 2013
- Jane: That's fantastic Bernard! Well done :)...
- Bernard Thian: Thank You Jane , I follow what you said and I have...
- elise: This is actually very good article! I will try not...
- michelle: beautiful mind map!!! thank you!! :D...
- Siti: Thank you!! I'll start purging now! xx...