They say the way you start the morning often sets the stage for the rest of the day. Here’s how I used to start my day: with a bowl of nutri-grain cereal. In my naivety, I believed the marketing messages that this was the food of iron men and women. I believed it would help […]
Avoiding the Stationery Trap: Insights from a Recovering Stationery Addict and an 18th Century Philosopher
In recent years, the humble notepad, pencil case and pen have transformed. Stationery has experienced an extreme makeover. I recently worked with a teenager girl who used a bright pink pen with a big diamond on top to take notes. This pen even had its very own feather bower. Another student had a pencil case […]
Over the past year I’ve seen more and more people using standing desks. And not just people with bad backs. I’m talking fit, strong and healthy people with no physical aches and pains. For example, a few months ago I met a young lawyer who had recently purchased a standing desk and treadmill for her […]
As a young bodybuilder with a thick Austrian accent Arnold Schwarzenegger declared to a sports journalist that he was going to be Hollywood’s biggest star. When he’d accomplished that, his next goal was to enter politics. In 2003, he became the Governor of California and proceeded to implement measures to radically reduce California’s greenhouse gas […]
You’ve probably realised by now that doing well in exams is not just about memorising lots of information. Don’t get me wrong, the ability to learn and memorise information effectively makes a big difference. But there are lots of other strategies and practices students can adopt to boost their performance. Whether you’ve just finished exams […]
Sign up for our Smart Study e-newsletter
- 10 Organisation Strategies for Disorganised Students: Keeping Chaos at Bay November 3, 2016
- Exam Revision: To Cram or Not to Cram? October 13, 2016
- How to be a ‘Completionist’ (Not a Perfectionist) October 7, 2016
- ‘Fitspiration’ is for amateurs: Practical strategies and tools to help you get moving October 2, 2016
- Making friends with exercise: How to become someone who exercises every day without becoming a ‘gym junkie’ September 28, 2016
- 5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project August 6, 2009
- How to Mind Map for Study Success November 5, 2007
- Developing Razor Sharp Focus with Zen Habits Blogger, Leo Babauta July 22, 2011
- Top 10 tips for taking exams October 22, 2008
- How to motivate yourself at anytime December 21, 2013
- Jane: That's fantastic Bernard! Well done :)...
- Bernard Thian: Thank You Jane , I follow what you said and I have...
- elise: This is actually very good article! I will try not...
- michelle: beautiful mind map!!! thank you!! :D...
- Siti: Thank you!! I'll start purging now! xx...