Have you ever said to yourself, “I won’t start writing that essay until I can get it absolutely perfect?” or “I won’t start that project until my desk and room are spotless”. Welcome to the world (and trap) of perfectionism. I come from a family of perfectionists. So I have first-hand real world experience of […]
When we think of people who exercise every day, we typically think of people who are super motivated and inspired and full of positive thinking. Maybe these people are sipping on a green smoothie or striking a yoga pose on the beach with their hands in prayer position. Look, I like green smoothies. I really […]
Making friends with exercise: How to become someone who exercises every day without becoming a ‘gym junkie’
Over the last few years, exercise has become a non-negotiable part of my day. Friends and family now call me a ‘gym junkie’ but believe me, I’m not. Typically when you think of ‘gym junkies’, you think of people who have huge bulging muscles and are striving to achieve a perfectly chiseled physique. I am […]
There are certain things we know we need to do when it comes to preparing for exams: create summary notes, work with the syllabus, attend revision classes, manage exam nerves, get plenty of sleep, etc. These are the obvious, big-ticket exam preparation items. But there are less obvious (and slightly bizarre) things we can also […]
Avoiding the Comparison Trap: How to Navigate through Facebook to Avoid Experiencing Mild Depression
Have you ever noticed that you sometimes feel a little flat after spending time on Facebook? A study by Kross et al. (2013) found that young people experience lower levels of subjective well-being after spending time on the social media site. Why would this be? Some scholars argue that it’s because we compare. According to […]
Sign up for our Smart Study e-newsletter
- Exploring Learning Styles: Fact or Fiction? January 18, 2017
- How to study effectively over the holidays without burning out January 10, 2017
- 7 things I wish I had known when I was in high school January 3, 2017
- 10 Organisation Strategies for Disorganised Students: Keeping Chaos at Bay November 3, 2016
- Exam Revision: To Cram or Not to Cram? October 13, 2016
- 5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project August 6, 2009
- How to Mind Map for Study Success November 5, 2007
- Developing Razor Sharp Focus with Zen Habits Blogger, Leo Babauta July 22, 2011
- Top 10 tips for taking exams October 22, 2008
- How to motivate yourself at anytime December 21, 2013
- Jane: That's fantastic Bernard! Well done :)...
- Bernard Thian: Thank You Jane , I follow what you said and I have...
- elise: This is actually very good article! I will try not...
- michelle: beautiful mind map!!! thank you!! :D...
- Siti: Thank you!! I'll start purging now! xx...