Have you ever noticed that you sometimes feel a little flat after spending time on Facebook? A study by Kross et al. (2013) found that young people experience lower levels of subjective well-being after spending time on the social media site. Why would this be? Some scholars argue that it’s because we compare. According to […]
You understand the dangers of smoking, texting as you drive and walking down dark allies on your own at night. You know it’s foolish and potentially dangerous to engage in these behaviours. But perhaps you’re less aware of the dangers of highlighting (and underlining). For most students, highlighting and underlining information feels so natural and […]
The life-changing magic of realising you have a problem: How the KonMari decluttering method helped me break my stationery addiction
Marie Kondo took the world by storm with her bestselling book “The life-changing magic of tidying up”. Her decluttering strategy (known as the KonMari method) is simple: Gather all the items in the same category (e.g. clothes, books or sentimentals), create a pile and then one by one, hold each item in your hands to […]
I used to agonize over writing essays. Writing every sentence was like sticking a pencil in my eyeball. It was a painful process. But over time something has shifted. I now really enjoy writing. How could this be? From pencil in the eye pain to enjoyment? Well, I gave myself permission to write rubbish. I […]
They say the way you start the morning often sets the stage for the rest of the day. Here’s how I used to start my day: with a bowl of nutri-grain cereal. In my naivety, I believed the marketing messages that this was the food of iron men and women. I believed it would help […]
Sign up for our Smart Study e-newsletter
- Exam Revision: To Cram or Not to Cram? October 13, 2016
- How to be a ‘Completionist’ (Not a Perfectionist) October 7, 2016
- ‘Fitspiration’ is for amateurs: Practical strategies and tools to help you get moving October 2, 2016
- Making friends with exercise: How to become someone who exercises every day without becoming a ‘gym junkie’ September 28, 2016
- The most bizarre exam hacks you’ll ever come across September 9, 2016
- 5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project August 6, 2009
- How to Mind Map for Study Success November 5, 2007
- Developing Razor Sharp Focus with Zen Habits Blogger, Leo Babauta July 22, 2011
- Top 10 tips for taking exams October 22, 2008
- How to motivate yourself at anytime December 21, 2013
- Jane: That's fantastic Bernard! Well done :)...
- Bernard Thian: Thank You Jane , I follow what you said and I have...
- elise: This is actually very good article! I will try not...
- michelle: beautiful mind map!!! thank you!! :D...
- Siti: Thank you!! I'll start purging now! xx...