Are you overwhelmed by too much information? Are you surrounded by piles of paper? A professional organiser once said to me that 80% of what you file away you will never look at again. So why hold on to it? When it comes to papers entering your space, you have to be ruthless. If you […]
Tag Archives | focus
Have you seen the snickers commercial with grumpy Joe Pesci? He’s handed a snickers bar, eats it and suddenly everything is better. It’s a clever ad because we can all relate to feeling grumpy when we’re hungry. But the snickers ad is misleading and doesn’t actually tell the full story. A snickers bar or any […]
Students often tell me that they work in a state of “organised chaos”. Whilst their desks are piled high with papers and stuff, they insist that this doesn’t affect their productivity. I beg to differ. Let me explain it this way. Imagine that you need major surgery. You go to your local hospital, get wheeled […]
If you’ve just logged into Facebook or your email for the 10th time today or find yourself thinking in Facebook statuses throughout the day, it may be time to read Leo Babauta’s eBook “Focus: A simplicity manifesto in the age of distraction”. This free eBook contains dozens of practical suggestions to help you enjoy life […]
It’s crunch time. Exams are quickly approaching (less than 2 weeks away) for many students. If you’re like most students you may have noticed that the amount of time you’ve been spending on Facebook, YouTube or Twitter has significantly increased over the past few weeks or days. If this is the case, don’t feel bad. […]
The Facebook group “Addicted to Facebook” is just shy of 2000 members (1999 members at the time of writing this post). One Facebook addict, Jackie, shares “Wow I can honestly say I’m addicted to facebook. so bad that I need professional help”. Whilst another member states “I think its funny that I get accused of […]
An old Psychology Professor told me recently how he had to write his PhD thesis by hand and paid a lady with a typewriter to type it up for him. Paying typists and drawing graphs by hand was the done thing in academia only a few decades ago. How times have changed! One could argue […]
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter and study tips
- Exploring Learning Styles: Fact or Fiction? January 18, 2017
- How to study effectively over the holidays without burning out January 10, 2017
- 7 things I wish I had known when I was in high school January 3, 2017
- 10 Organisation Strategies for Disorganised Students: Keeping Chaos at Bay November 3, 2016
- Exam Revision: To Cram or Not to Cram? October 13, 2016
- 5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project August 6, 2009
- How to Mind Map for Study Success November 5, 2007
- Developing Razor Sharp Focus with Zen Habits Blogger, Leo Babauta July 22, 2011
- Top 10 tips for taking exams October 22, 2008
- How to motivate yourself at anytime December 21, 2013
- Jane: That's fantastic Bernard! Well done :)...
- Bernard Thian: Thank You Jane , I follow what you said and I have...
- elise: This is actually very good article! I will try not...
- michelle: beautiful mind map!!! thank you!! :D...
- Siti: Thank you!! I'll start purging now! xx...