What do you do when you get stuck in a rut? When you are not sure how to progress forward with a project it’s easy to procrastinate or even worse give up in frustration. The automatic habit for many of us is to go on Facebook and get screen sucked: aimlessly surfing the Internet to […]
Archive | Motivation RSS feed for this section
Picture this. A clear blue sky. Fresh clean air. Old ancient trees. Beautiful birdsong. Nice, eh? Now imagine this. Noise from traffic. Pollution. Dirty plastic waste. A sea of concrete. Let me ask you this – which scenery do you prefer? Judging from the huge digital image of a blue sky and mountains in the […]
I’ve never been a fan of peppermint chewing gum or any flavor gum for that matter. After an incident in high school where I sat on a piece and it destroyed my only pair of school shorts, I became repulsed by the stuff. But I’m forcing myself to chew on a piece of peppermint gum […]
What does wonder woman, chimpanzees and Usain Bolt all in have in common? They strike power poses. Chances are you may know someone who strikes such poses (legs and arms spread out, hands on hips or behind one’s head, chest puffed up, etc). These people typically exude power and dominance. But the good news is […]
A few months ago I came across this picture that several friends had shared on Facebook (courtesy of Ruby Rose). Many people identified with this image making comments along the lines of – “So sad but TRUE!” Sites like Facebook, YouTube and Tumblr are incredibly addictive. Deep down we all know we should be working […]
A teenager once came up to me and asked rather desperately – “Can you please convince my mum that it’s OK for me to listen to music when I study? Please?!” Whilst I felt for this 17 year old who clearly loved music and had been banned from listening to his iPod whilst he studied, […]
Have you ever wondered why some people are able to deal so well with terrible life circumstances and grow from them, whilst others are heavily weighed down by their problems to the point where they can’t even get out of bed in the morning? Life can be tough and certainly isn’t perfect for many of […]
I was never particularly sporty at school. I was usually the last person to be picked for the team in sports class and I hated competition, so naturally I developed an aversion to physical activity. I thought exercise was for other students (i.e. the popular guys and girls), but it certainly wasn’t for me. I […]
Sign up for our Smart Study e-newsletter
- Exploring Learning Styles: Fact or Fiction? January 18, 2017
- How to study effectively over the holidays without burning out January 10, 2017
- 7 things I wish I had known when I was in high school January 3, 2017
- 10 Organisation Strategies for Disorganised Students: Keeping Chaos at Bay November 3, 2016
- Exam Revision: To Cram or Not to Cram? October 13, 2016
- 5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project August 6, 2009
- How to Mind Map for Study Success November 5, 2007
- Developing Razor Sharp Focus with Zen Habits Blogger, Leo Babauta July 22, 2011
- Top 10 tips for taking exams October 22, 2008
- How to motivate yourself at anytime December 21, 2013
- Jane: That's fantastic Bernard! Well done :)...
- Bernard Thian: Thank You Jane , I follow what you said and I have...
- elise: This is actually very good article! I will try not...
- michelle: beautiful mind map!!! thank you!! :D...
- Siti: Thank you!! I'll start purging now! xx...