Picture this. A clear blue sky. Fresh clean air. Old ancient trees. Beautiful birdsong. Nice, eh? Now imagine this. Noise from traffic. Pollution. Dirty plastic waste. A sea of concrete. Let me ask you this – which scenery do you prefer? Judging from the huge digital image of a blue sky and mountains in the […]
Archive | Focus RSS feed for this section
Have you ever said to yourself “I really need to study” or “I need to start revising” and days or weeks later you still hadn’t started but it had been weighing heavily on your mind all that time? The problem with telling yourself to study or revise is that these tasks are too vague and […]
It should come as no surprise that ‘Facebook’ is the number 1 search term on the Internet. Now don’t get me wrong, I quite like Facebook. I use Facebook like 1 billion other people on the planet. I’d probably go on Facebook everyday but I have limits (e.g. I’m not one to share what I […]
Do you think developing better self control is hard work? If so, then think again. There are a range of super simple strategies that you can incorporate into your everyday life to strengthen your self control. Below are a few of my favourites. Wait 10 minutes In the book “The Willpower Instinct”, Kelly McGonigal challenges […]
There’s a place in Texas called Kenny’s Burger Joint. It’s a pretty typical burger place all but for one little..I mean BIG thing: The 7,000 calorie El Jefe Grande burger on the menu. Before you can order this burger you need to sign a legal waiver. This actually is a good thing as it gives […]
A few months ago I came across this picture that several friends had shared on Facebook (courtesy of Ruby Rose). Many people identified with this image making comments along the lines of – “So sad but TRUE!” Sites like Facebook, YouTube and Tumblr are incredibly addictive. Deep down we all know we should be working […]
Students often tell me that they work in a state of “organised chaos”. Whilst their desks are piled high with papers and stuff, they insist that this doesn’t affect their productivity. I beg to differ. Let me explain it this way. Imagine that you need major surgery. You go to your local hospital, get wheeled […]
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter and study tips
- “I’ll start trying in year 12 when it really matters” and other delusional thoughts: Debunking 3 ideas that stop you from achieving your personal best March 13, 2017
- 15 Strategies to Stop Procrastinating and Get Stuff Done March 2, 2017
- The study strategy you can’t live without… February 24, 2017
- The 8 Biggest Mistakes Students Make February 23, 2017
- The Everest Philosophy: A strategy to help you finish projects and assignments when you’re sick and tired of them February 6, 2017
- 5 ways to motivate yourself to study a boring subject and/or complete a project August 6, 2009
- How to Mind Map for Study Success November 5, 2007
- Developing Razor Sharp Focus with Zen Habits Blogger, Leo Babauta July 22, 2011
- Top 10 tips for taking exams October 22, 2008
- How to motivate yourself at anytime December 21, 2013
- Elara: Thanks for the great tips! My exams start soon and...
- Jane: All the best Natasha. Make sure you get a good nig...
- natasha: thank you,so much.....Math exam tomorrow...
- Jane: That's fantastic Bernard! Well done :)...
- Bernard Thian: Thank You Jane , I follow what you said and I have...